WB: 100 shanties destroyed in Kolkata fire
Kolkata: A devastating fire Thursday destroyed over 100 shanties in Tangra area while another fire broke out in a two-storied building in Tollygunge area of the metropolis but there was no loss of life in both the incidents.
Ten fire tenders battled the blaze at Tangra area for an hour and brought it under control, police and fire brigade sources said.
Firemen evacuated people from the area as a precautionary measure, the sources said.
Local people helped firemen to fetch water from ponds with hose pipes laid over railway tracks, leading to suspension of Budge Budge-Naihati and Canning-Bongaon train services.
Fire Services minister Javed Khan said that there was no casualty in the fire, which gutted over 100 shanties.
The second fire broke out in two storied residential cum-commercial building at Russa Road in Tollygunge area at around 8.15 pm.
A sound recording studio is located in the building.
Seeing smoke emanating from the building, the local people informed the fire brigade, which rushed to the spot and rescued the maid servant of the house.
Four fire tenders rushed to the spot and brought the fire under control at around 10.30 pm, the fire brigade sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on