WB: 14-year-old gang-raped in Kolkata
Kolkata: A minor girl was allegedly gang-raped in the wee hours of Monday in the city`s Jadavpur area. Two of the accused have been arrested, police said.
"Following a complaint of gang-rape we have arrested two persons. The 14-year-old victim was allegedly raped and at least three to four persons are suspected to be involved," Deputy Commissioner (Jadavpur) Sujay Chanda said.
"A medical test on the victim to ascertain rape will be conducted soon," Chanda said.
According to police, the victim, along with another girl, had gone for a bath to a pond in the locality at around 3 a.m. on the occasion of Maha Shivratri. Two young men started teasing the girls.
While her companion fled the spot, the victim was forcibly taken by the youths to a building still under construction and raped.
The incident comes just two days after West Bengal Human Rights Commission chairman and former Supreme Court judge Asok Kumar Ganguly said West Bengal "was not lagging behind Delhi in the number of atrocities on women, and may have (even) surpassed the national capital (in such crimes)".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'