WB: 14-year-old gang-raped in Kolkata
Kolkata: A minor girl was allegedly gang-raped in the wee hours of Monday in the city`s Jadavpur area. Two of the accused have been arrested, police said.
"Following a complaint of gang-rape we have arrested two persons. The 14-year-old victim was allegedly raped and at least three to four persons are suspected to be involved," Deputy Commissioner (Jadavpur) Sujay Chanda said.
"A medical test on the victim to ascertain rape will be conducted soon," Chanda said.
According to police, the victim, along with another girl, had gone for a bath to a pond in the locality at around 3 a.m. on the occasion of Maha Shivratri. Two young men started teasing the girls.
While her companion fled the spot, the victim was forcibly taken by the youths to a building still under construction and raped.
The incident comes just two days after West Bengal Human Rights Commission chairman and former Supreme Court judge Asok Kumar Ganguly said West Bengal "was not lagging behind Delhi in the number of atrocities on women, and may have (even) surpassed the national capital (in such crimes)".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!