WB: 14-year-old gang-raped in Kolkata
Kolkata: A minor girl was allegedly gang-raped in the wee hours of Monday in the city`s Jadavpur area. Two of the accused have been arrested, police said.
"Following a complaint of gang-rape we have arrested two persons. The 14-year-old victim was allegedly raped and at least three to four persons are suspected to be involved," Deputy Commissioner (Jadavpur) Sujay Chanda said.
"A medical test on the victim to ascertain rape will be conducted soon," Chanda said.
According to police, the victim, along with another girl, had gone for a bath to a pond in the locality at around 3 a.m. on the occasion of Maha Shivratri. Two young men started teasing the girls.
While her companion fled the spot, the victim was forcibly taken by the youths to a building still under construction and raped.
The incident comes just two days after West Bengal Human Rights Commission chairman and former Supreme Court judge Asok Kumar Ganguly said West Bengal "was not lagging behind Delhi in the number of atrocities on women, and may have (even) surpassed the national capital (in such crimes)".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui