WB: 2 dead after bus is washed away
Bankura: Two persons died and three to four persons went missing after an overloaded private bus was washed away on Thursday while crossing a flooded bridge over Bhairabbanki river in West Bengal`s Bankura district.
District superintendent of police Mukesh Kumar said the bodies belonged to a 14-year-old boy and a 27-year-old youth.
The bus was on way to Durgapur from Jhargram in West Midnapore district and had about 65 passengers on board, including six people on its roof, police said.
The driver lost control over the vehicle when water entered its silencer and was washed away near Phulkulsma, he said adding most of the people inside the bus were rescued by the local people.
The driver and the conductor of the bus were among those rescued. The injured have been rushed to the local public health centre.
Disaster management group personnel, including divers from Durgapur have reached the spot, which is between Khatra and Raipur. Fire brigade, health team, local administration and police too were assisting operations.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee told reporters at the state secretariat in Kolkata that three or four passengers of the bus were missing and there was no passenger inside the bus.
Child development minister Shyamapada Mukherjee and the SP have been sent to the spot, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outline solutions, don't become roadblock to progressive democracy: BJP tells Mamata
- After Virat Kohli, time for Anil Kumble to work with MS Dhoni - Here's what Jumbo said..
- Union Minister Maneka Gandhi raps Kerala for its policy on stray dogs
- RSS distributed sweets on the day Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated: Congress
- Remember Parul Chauhan aka Ragini from 'Bidaai'? Her latest pictures will make your jaw drop!