WB: 28 pilgrims injured as Makar Sankranti ends
Sagar Island: Twenty eight pilgrims
were injured in road accidents as several lakhs of devotees
took a holy dip at the confluence of the Ganga and Bay of
Bengal on Makar Sankranti on Sunday.
Twenty two persons from Bihar were injured on their
return journey when their vehicle overturned at Bamankhali,
near here, this evening, police said. All the injured were
In another accident, six devotees from Haryana were
injured when the bus in which they were returning turned
turtle at Diamond Harbour in the morning. They two were
hospitalised, police said.
Several lakhs of pilgrims from all over the country came
here from January 9 till the concluding day today, District
Magistrate NS Nigam said, adding that many foreigners also
visited the place.
Among the visitors were BJP leaders Jaswant Singh, Uma
Bharati and Supreme Court judge CK Prasad.
Elaborate security arrangements were made with
installation of 10 watch towers, deployment of 6,500 policemen
along with coast guards, BSF and Navy. About 7,000 volunteers
of different NGOs and civil defence personnel were also at
work, official sources said.
Security forces in the sea were equipped with hovercraft
and small aircraft.
Four state and one central minister of the Trinamool
Congress camped at the site to monitor the arrangements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks