WB assures NCW of investigating all rape cases
Kolkata: Amid reports of growing number of
rape cases in West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday assured a delegation of the National Commission for
Women that all cases referred by it would be investigated.
"The chief minister has assured that neutral investigation
will be made by her government in all the cases referred by
the NCW," said Anita Agnihotri, NCW member-secretary.
Asked to comment on Banerjee`s remark on the recent Park
Street rape case which she had said was fabricated, Agnihotri,
who led the delegation, said, "NCW is concerned about the
general situation in the country. This could be particularly
difficult if these comments are there.
"They said there could be comments here and there. But
this is not going to affect the course of invsetigation in any
manner which I think is very reassuring," she said after the
meeting which was also attended by chief secretary Samar Ghosh
and other government officials.
Asked whether the NCW visit was intended to create
pressure on the state government to act in the face of rising
incidents of crime against women in the state, she said,
"Creating pressure on the government is not the mandate. Of
course we are concerned and that is why we have come all the
way, otherwise we would not be here."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says