WB BJP defends rail fare hike
Kolkata: The BJP state leadership on Monday defended the recent rail fare hike by saying the move taken to bring the Railways out from its poor condition.
"It has been nearly a decade that rail fares were not increased. It had to be increased for betterment of the Railways and for the sake of providing world class services to the passengers," state BJP president Rahul Sinha said.
Sinha said the decision to hike the railway fare and freight charges were taken during the UPA tenure.
In one of the biggest hikes, the cash-strapped Railways last week raised passenger fares by 14.2 per cent for all classes and increased freight rates by 6.5 per cent to garner an annual Rs 8,000 crore through a pre-budget decision.
BJP MP from Asansol Babul Supriyo too while addressing a rally here indicated that hard decisions were needed for a better future.
- Imran Khan demands ‘jail’ for Nawaz; reiterates Pak PM’s resignation over Panama Papers – Video inside
- Breathtaking dance steps performed by sibling goes viral – Watch video to believe it!
- Seven of marriage party electrocuted in Telangana
- IS-linked cell in Morocco planned attack in Brussels
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires