WB BJP defends rail fare hike
Kolkata: The BJP state leadership on Monday defended the recent rail fare hike by saying the move taken to bring the Railways out from its poor condition.
"It has been nearly a decade that rail fares were not increased. It had to be increased for betterment of the Railways and for the sake of providing world class services to the passengers," state BJP president Rahul Sinha said.
Sinha said the decision to hike the railway fare and freight charges were taken during the UPA tenure.
In one of the biggest hikes, the cash-strapped Railways last week raised passenger fares by 14.2 per cent for all classes and increased freight rates by 6.5 per cent to garner an annual Rs 8,000 crore through a pre-budget decision.
BJP MP from Asansol Babul Supriyo too while addressing a rally here indicated that hard decisions were needed for a better future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?