WB bypolls: TMC wins Bankura, Daspur
Kolkata: Dealing a further blow to CPI-M, ruling Trinamool Congress (TMC) on Friday wrested both the Bankura and Daspur seats from it in the hotly contested by-elections.
Trinamool candidate Minati Mishra defeated CPI(M)’s Nilanjan Dasgupta in Bankura by a margin of 15,139 votes in the June 15 bypoll.
Samar Mukherjee another Left candidate was defeated by TMC’s Mamata Bhunia in Daspur constituency with a margin of 18,898 votes.
The by-elections to Bankura and Daspur in the Maoist-hit districts were caused by the death of TMC legislators there. Kashinath Mishra of TMC had won the Bankura seat last year by defeating the CPI(M) candidate by a margin of 29,090 votes while Ajit Bhunia of TMC had defeated his CPI(M) rival in Daspur by a margin of about 25,000 votes.
Around 67 percent of the electorate exercised their franchise right on June 12 in the by-elections at Bankura in West Bengal while the figure was 73 percent at Daspur.
BJP too has fielded its candidates in both the seats. Congress, however, did not put up candidate in any of the two seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional