WB: Cash, passbooks seized from ex-minister’s home
Kolkata: The CID on Friday seized cash,
mobile phones and pass books from one of the residences of
former CPI(M) minister Sushanta Ghosh here, while searches
were carried out near his ancestral one in West Midnapore
CID sources said that Rupees five lakh, three mobile
phones and two passbooks were seized during the search at one
of his houses in Kolkata.
The sources said it was being ascertained why so much
money was kept in the house, while the call lists of the
mobile phones were being scrutinised.
Also being scrutinised were the two pass books.
In West Midnapore district, a CID team took two
arrested persons along during searches at Khetua and
Benachapra, where Ghosh`s ancestral house in located, police
A CID team led by DIG (CID) K Jayaraman took along
Madan Satra, who had informed villagers about the pit near
Ghosh`s ancestral house where seven skeletons were recovered
on June 2.
Satra, who formerly belonged to the CPI(M) and had
later switched over to the Trinamool Congress was earlier
arrested by the CID for inconsistencies in his statements.
Also taken along was Kalidas Chowdhury, a CPI(M)
leader of Anandpur, who was also arrested earlier.
Divers scoured a pond near Ghosh`s ancestral house,
the sources said.
The CID remand of Ghosh, the former Pashim Anchal
Affairs minister, was extended by four days on August 18.
He was arrested on August 9 after a report on the DNA
of missing Trinamool supporters Ajoy Acharya and Swapan Singh
matching two of the seven skeletons dug up was placed in court
by the CID and his prayer for extension of anticipatory bail
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details