WB chit fund scam: My sister has been framed, says Debjani`s cousin
Kolkata: Debjani Mukherjee, one of the directors of collapsed chitfund company Saradha Group which allegedly defrauded thousands of depositors, has been "framed" and was "innocent", her cousin sister Arpita claimed on Wednesday.
"My sister has been framed and is innocent. She had resigned from the Saradha Group on January 1. My sister has no link with what has happened," Arpita claimed.
Asked why Debjani accompanied chairman Sudipta Sen when he was on the run, Arpita, who is also a Saradha employee, replied, "She was called to attend an important meeting in Delhi and went by air. She didn`t go with Sen."
Questioned whether Debjani would share the moral responsibility for the fraud, her sister said, "I don`t know."
Sudipto, Debjani, who was a close confidante of the chairman, and another official of the group Arvind Singh Chauhan were arrested from Kashmir yesterday.
Thousands of agents and depositors have been duped by the group, which had promised high returns with the extent of the fraud estimated at Rs 4000 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal