WB chit fund scam: My sister has been framed, says Debjani`s cousin
Kolkata: Debjani Mukherjee, one of the directors of collapsed chitfund company Saradha Group which allegedly defrauded thousands of depositors, has been "framed" and was "innocent", her cousin sister Arpita claimed on Wednesday.
"My sister has been framed and is innocent. She had resigned from the Saradha Group on January 1. My sister has no link with what has happened," Arpita claimed.
Asked why Debjani accompanied chairman Sudipta Sen when he was on the run, Arpita, who is also a Saradha employee, replied, "She was called to attend an important meeting in Delhi and went by air. She didn`t go with Sen."
Questioned whether Debjani would share the moral responsibility for the fraud, her sister said, "I don`t know."
Sudipto, Debjani, who was a close confidante of the chairman, and another official of the group Arvind Singh Chauhan were arrested from Kashmir yesterday.
Thousands of agents and depositors have been duped by the group, which had promised high returns with the extent of the fraud estimated at Rs 4000 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event
- Al Qaeda chief urges kidnappings of Westerners for prisoner swaps - SITE
- Japan logs first half-year trade surplus since Fukushima
- Attacks on France, Germany their own fault: Donald Trump