WB CID arrests two in iron ore export scam
Kolkata: Two persons were on Wednesday arrested by
the Crime Investigation Department of West Bengal Police for
their alleged involvement in iron ore export scam.
CID official K Jayaraman said D Chakrabarti, an IAS
officer on compulsory waiting, and R N Jamir, a retired
IAS officer, were arrested.
Chakrabarti was posted as Managing Director of West
Bengal Essential Commodities Supply Corporation, while Jamir
was the director-general in 2004 when the scam took place.
Two shipments of iron-ore were sent to China during
2004-2005 which were returned for their poor quality. The
value of shipments were Rs 125 crore and Rs 58 crore.
However, the consignments could not be traced.
Jayaraman said the two officials were involved in the
Initially, the Detective Department was looking at the
case after an FIR was filed. Later, the matter was taken up by
CID in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM