WB CID arrests two in iron ore export scam
Kolkata: Two persons were on Wednesday arrested by
the Crime Investigation Department of West Bengal Police for
their alleged involvement in iron ore export scam.
CID official K Jayaraman said D Chakrabarti, an IAS
officer on compulsory waiting, and R N Jamir, a retired
IAS officer, were arrested.
Chakrabarti was posted as Managing Director of West
Bengal Essential Commodities Supply Corporation, while Jamir
was the director-general in 2004 when the scam took place.
Two shipments of iron-ore were sent to China during
2004-2005 which were returned for their poor quality. The
value of shipments were Rs 125 crore and Rs 58 crore.
However, the consignments could not be traced.
Jayaraman said the two officials were involved in the
Initially, the Detective Department was looking at the
case after an FIR was filed. Later, the matter was taken up by
CID in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker
- CBI files fresh chargesheet against two in Vyapam cases
- ED officer loses annual increments for harassing woman
- Finally! Ringing Bells ready with two lakh Freedom 251 phones: Mohit Goel