WB CID arrests two in iron ore export scam
Kolkata: Two persons were on Wednesday arrested by
the Crime Investigation Department of West Bengal Police for
their alleged involvement in iron ore export scam.
CID official K Jayaraman said D Chakrabarti, an IAS
officer on compulsory waiting, and R N Jamir, a retired
IAS officer, were arrested.
Chakrabarti was posted as Managing Director of West
Bengal Essential Commodities Supply Corporation, while Jamir
was the director-general in 2004 when the scam took place.
Two shipments of iron-ore were sent to China during
2004-2005 which were returned for their poor quality. The
value of shipments were Rs 125 crore and Rs 58 crore.
However, the consignments could not be traced.
Jayaraman said the two officials were involved in the
Initially, the Detective Department was looking at the
case after an FIR was filed. Later, the matter was taken up by
CID in 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon