WB: Cong slams bureaucratisation of Panchayati Raj
Kolkata: The Congress on Sunday criticised
the West Bengal government for bureaucratisation of the
panchayati raj system in the state and said it would mobilise
people at the district and block level to protest against it.
"Panchayat administration should not be run by the
bureaucrats in the state,`` WBPCC president Pradip
Bhattacharya said and urged the government to allot more money
to strengthen the system.
"We will also organise people at the district and
block level against the bureaucratisation,`` Bhattacharya,
whose party is a partner in the Mamata Banerjee-led
He reminded the government that the Panchayati Raj
system was introduced to decentralise power and allow people
to run their administration instead of concentrating power in
the hands of bureaucrats.
Bhattacharya also said that the government should
ensure minimum support price (MSP) for paddy and jute to
protect farmers from misery and distress sale of their
He said, "Paddy and jute farmers in the state are
being deprived of the MSP announced by the Centre, leaving
them with no alternative but to go in for distress sale of
He said the Congress would organise a mass-deputation
at block level on December 9 and 10 demanding MSP in paddy and
He also alleged that fertilisers were not being
distributed properly among farmers in all places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes