WB Congress Gen Sec seeks three ministerial berths at Centre
Kolkata: With six Trinamool Congress ministers resigning from the UPA government on Friday, West Bengal Congress general secretary Omprakash Mishra today sought induction of three leaders from the state as Union ministers, including one of Cabinet rank.
In his letter to Congress President Sonia Gandhi, Mishra said with resignation of six TMC ministers and elevation of Pranab Mukherjee as country`s President, proportionate representation of Congress MPs in the council of ministers would be a morale booster and generate political support in the state.
"Out of 42 Lok Sabha and 16 Rajya Sabha members from the state, the Congress has only six members (five in Lok Sabha and one in Rajya Sabha). State`s representation in the Union Council of Ministers has to be made from them now," he said.
West Bengal, being "third largest state" together with Andhra Pradesh in terms of political representation, deserved political and ministerial representation in a "proportionate way", Mishra said.
WBPCC President Pradip Bhattacharya, however, described it as Mishra`s personal request.
"Its an absolutely personal appeal by Mishra to the Congress President and has nothing to do with the WBPCC. It`s absolutely the prerogative of the party`s supreme leadership about how many ministerial berth will be given to state," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark