WB: CPM, TMC workers clash, Mamata convenes emergency meet
Kolkata: The political tension between the CPI (M) and the ruling Trinamool Congress aggravated on Tuesday after workers and supporters of the two parties clashed in South 24, Paragana district of the West Bengal creating a law and order problem.
According to reports, hundreds of CPI-M workers were holding a rally demanding immediate arrest of Trinamool Congress leader Arabul Islam who is alleged to have played a role in an attack on its senior leader and former West Bengal minister Abdul Rezzak Mollah.
When the rally was passing through the Bamunghata in South 24 Parganas district, a group of armed men attacked the protestors and opened indiscriminate firing in which several CPI-M workers were injured.
In a bid to dissuade the Left workers from joining the protest rally, the attackers torched several public transport buses carrying Left workers and ransacked and vandalized government property.
The massive rally was called since the deadline given by the Left to arrest the alleged attacker ends today. The Left leaders had earlier appealed to all democratic forces to raise their voice of protest against the thuggish violence indulged in by Trinamool Congress in West Bengal.
CPI(M) leader and former minister Kanti Ganguly said that Left supporters were attacked and eight of their vehicles were set on fire by TMC workers.
Left sources also claimed that three persons received bullet injuries and were admitted to hospital.
However, TMC leader Arabul Islam rejected the claim and said that his car was fired on allegedly by Marxist workers who tried to kill him as a result of which he fell off and was rescued by party workers.
Superintendent of Police Pravin Tripathi, when asked, admitted that some incidents had take place, but could not give details immediately.
The political tension between the two sides intensified when Mollah was allegedly attacked by Trinamool supporters at Kanta Tala in South 24-Parganas district yesterday.
CPI(M) alleges that Mollah was assaulted by Arabul Islam and others while visiting a party office which had been burnt down. It said that the senior leader had received injuries on his face.
Left leaders have strongly condemned the attack and the West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has convened an emergency meeting of her cabinet to discuss the situation.
The Chief Minister is likely to make an official statement in this regard shortly.
Trinamool has, however, denied any role of its party members in the incident and accused CPI (M) of making false claims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!