WB: Defamation charges against Mahapatra dropped
Kolkata: West Bengal Police on Friday dropped defamation charges against Jadavpur University professor Ambikesh Mahapatra who was earlier arrested for circulating e-mails mocking Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
Police, in the charge sheetfiled on Friday in a South 24 Parganas court, charged Mahapatra only under section 66A of the Information Technology Act which penalises "sending false and offensive messages through communication services".
In the first information report (FIR), Mahapatra was booked under Indian Penal Code for defamation punishable with two years imprisonment and outraging modesty of woman which carries a maximum punishment of one year simple imprisonment.
The arrest of Mahapatra in April this year was widely condemned but Banerjee justified the administrative action and went on to say the circulation of the mail was a part of "conspiracy to eliminate me". She even branded the professor a "CPI-M (Communist Party of India-Marxist) man".
Banerjee also walked out of a TV show after being asked uncomfortable questions over the issue.
Following much hue and cry generated by his arrest, Mahapatra was granted bail the next day.
Later, the West Bengal Human Rights Commission taking suo motto cognisance of the case, not only recommended departmental proceedings against two police officers for being "over-zealous" but also ordered the state government to pay compensation to Rs 50,000 to Mahapatra and his neighbour who too was arrested for the crime.
Expressing happiness over the dropping of the charges, Mahapatra on Friday said: "Justice has finally prevailed but still there is a charge against me under the IT Act and I wish I am exonerated of it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demand ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!