WB DGP reprimanded, fined by Assembly Speaker
Kolkata: West Bengal Director General of Police Bhupinder Singh was on Friday reprimanded and fined by Speaker HA Halim for taking a photo in the House with his
mobile phone camera.
The Speaker asked the DGP, who was produced by the marshal in a temporary dock set up in the well of the Assembly whether he had taken a photo in the House with his mobile phone camera yesterday.
The DGP, who was in civil dress, replied that the flash on his mobile phone camera went off by mistake, but no photo was taken.
The Speaker then said, "You say yes or no. I don`t need any explanation."
Since the DGP was speaking softly and there was no microphone in the well, his answers were conveyed by the marshal using the microphone of CLP leader Manas Bhunia. The
DGP replied he had not taken a photo.
Halim said, "When I called you to my chamber yesterday you said you received an SMS from Darjeeling and when you tried to see it, by mistake you took a photo. It was not
"But today you are saying that you did not take a photo, but the flash on your mobile went off. Why the contradiction?"
The DGP replied that he did not know if a photo was taken and the mobile phone had to be examined.
The Speaker then asked, "Don`t you think you have committed a grave mistake?"
The DGP replied, "Yes, sir."
"Do you regret it?" the Speaker asked.
The DGP replied, "I regret it and apologise unconditionally."
Halim then ruled that since the DGP had admitted his mistake and apologised standing in the dock in the House, his mobile phone stood seized and he was fined Rs 1000 which would be sent to the Chief Minister`s Relief Fund.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’