WB governor invites Mamata to form govt
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan on Monday invited Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee to form new government in the state following her party`s resounding victory in the Assembly Elections.
"A letter from the Governor has been sent to Ms Mamata Banerjee inviting her to form the government," Raj Bhavan sources said.
Banerjee is now in Delhi to meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi to invite them for the swearing-in ceremony, the date of which has not yet been announced.
The Trinamool Congress yesterday formally staked claim to form the government shortly after electing Banerjee as its Legislature Party leader.
Partha Chatterjee, who was elected Deputy Leader of the TC Legislature Party, said that while staking the claim to form the government, a copy of the resolution adopted at the meeting of the newly-elected TC MLAs was submitted to the Governor. A list of 184 party MLAs were also submitted along with the resolution.
Trinamool`s ally Congress has also submitted a letter of support to the government to be formed under Banerjee`s leadership.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference