WB Governor likely to visit Lalgarh next week
Kolkata: Taking a pro-active stand on the law and order situation in the state, West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan is likely to visit Netai village in the strife-torn
Lalgrah area, where seven unarmed villagers were killed recently.
"The Governor is most likely to visit the village on January 19. The schedule of his visit is under preparation," a Raj Bhavan source told a news agency here today.
Yesterday, Narayanan had reviewed the overall situation arising out of the spurt in political violence in the state with the top brass of the administration at Raj Bhavan.
He had summoned the Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh, Home Secretary GD Goutama and DGP N Mukherjee and asked the state government to concentrate more on the law and order situation in the state.
"It is not the time to discuss things but act properly," the Governor had said on a number of occasions when reporters sought his reaction on the situation.
His predecessor Gopal Krishna Gandhi had also undertaken a visit to the trouble-torn Nandigram in 2007 and expressed anguish at the worsening law and order situation at that time.
Narayanan`s move to visit Lalgarh comes a day after the Election Commission decided to dispatch a six-member team of observers to the state to oversee the law and order situation ahead of the state Assembly polls.
Political observers feel that the Election Commission`s decision is an unprecedented step.
The EC team of observers will consist of senior IPS officers and the Chief Election Officer of Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing