WB Governor likely to visit Lalgarh next week
Kolkata: Taking a pro-active stand on the law and order situation in the state, West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan is likely to visit Netai village in the strife-torn
Lalgrah area, where seven unarmed villagers were killed recently.
"The Governor is most likely to visit the village on January 19. The schedule of his visit is under preparation," a Raj Bhavan source told a news agency here today.
Yesterday, Narayanan had reviewed the overall situation arising out of the spurt in political violence in the state with the top brass of the administration at Raj Bhavan.
He had summoned the Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh, Home Secretary GD Goutama and DGP N Mukherjee and asked the state government to concentrate more on the law and order situation in the state.
"It is not the time to discuss things but act properly," the Governor had said on a number of occasions when reporters sought his reaction on the situation.
His predecessor Gopal Krishna Gandhi had also undertaken a visit to the trouble-torn Nandigram in 2007 and expressed anguish at the worsening law and order situation at that time.
Narayanan`s move to visit Lalgarh comes a day after the Election Commission decided to dispatch a six-member team of observers to the state to oversee the law and order situation ahead of the state Assembly polls.
Political observers feel that the Election Commission`s decision is an unprecedented step.
The EC team of observers will consist of senior IPS officers and the Chief Election Officer of Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him