WB Governor seeks report on Shantiniketan row
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan has sought a report from the Visva-Bharati University on a school hostel warden allegedly forcing a girl student to drink her own urine as punishment for bed-wetting.
"I am waiting for the report and then I will come back," the Governor said on the sidelines of a seminar here on being asked about the incident.
Uma Poddar, the warden of Karabi Girls` Hostel of the Patha Bhavan school under the Visva-Bharati University, was arrested and suspended yesterday for allegedly forcing the 10-year-old girl to drink her own urine for bed-wetting.
Poddar was granted bail yesterday by a Bolpur court where she was produced along with the girl`s parents, who were arrested on charges of intimidation and trespassing.
The shocking incident has sparked an outrage with the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights slapping a notice on the West Bengal government asking it to investigate the matter and submit a report within 10 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Emirates plane with more than 300 on board makes emergency landing in Mumbai
- BJP rejects Nitish's claims of slide in crime after prohibition
- Gionee unveils flagship M6, M6 Plus smartphones
- Sensex gains 3.5% post Rexit announcement: Report
- Subramanian Swamy tries to raise Mahatma Gandhi's assassination issue in RS