WB Governor seeks report on Shantiniketan row
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan has sought a report from the Visva-Bharati University on a school hostel warden allegedly forcing a girl student to drink her own urine as punishment for bed-wetting.
"I am waiting for the report and then I will come back," the Governor said on the sidelines of a seminar here on being asked about the incident.
Uma Poddar, the warden of Karabi Girls` Hostel of the Patha Bhavan school under the Visva-Bharati University, was arrested and suspended yesterday for allegedly forcing the 10-year-old girl to drink her own urine for bed-wetting.
Poddar was granted bail yesterday by a Bolpur court where she was produced along with the girl`s parents, who were arrested on charges of intimidation and trespassing.
The shocking incident has sparked an outrage with the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights slapping a notice on the West Bengal government asking it to investigate the matter and submit a report within 10 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets