WB Governor seeks report on Shantiniketan row
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan has sought a report from the Visva-Bharati University on a school hostel warden allegedly forcing a girl student to drink her own urine as punishment for bed-wetting.
"I am waiting for the report and then I will come back," the Governor said on the sidelines of a seminar here on being asked about the incident.
Uma Poddar, the warden of Karabi Girls` Hostel of the Patha Bhavan school under the Visva-Bharati University, was arrested and suspended yesterday for allegedly forcing the 10-year-old girl to drink her own urine for bed-wetting.
Poddar was granted bail yesterday by a Bolpur court where she was produced along with the girl`s parents, who were arrested on charges of intimidation and trespassing.
The shocking incident has sparked an outrage with the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights slapping a notice on the West Bengal government asking it to investigate the matter and submit a report within 10 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA