WB Governor seeks report on Shantiniketan row
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan has sought a report from the Visva-Bharati University on a school hostel warden allegedly forcing a girl student to drink her own urine as punishment for bed-wetting.
"I am waiting for the report and then I will come back," the Governor said on the sidelines of a seminar here on being asked about the incident.
Uma Poddar, the warden of Karabi Girls` Hostel of the Patha Bhavan school under the Visva-Bharati University, was arrested and suspended yesterday for allegedly forcing the 10-year-old girl to drink her own urine for bed-wetting.
Poddar was granted bail yesterday by a Bolpur court where she was produced along with the girl`s parents, who were arrested on charges of intimidation and trespassing.
The shocking incident has sparked an outrage with the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights slapping a notice on the West Bengal government asking it to investigate the matter and submit a report within 10 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief