WB Governor seeks report on Shantiniketan row
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan has sought a report from the Visva-Bharati University on a school hostel warden allegedly forcing a girl student to drink her own urine as punishment for bed-wetting.
"I am waiting for the report and then I will come back," the Governor said on the sidelines of a seminar here on being asked about the incident.
Uma Poddar, the warden of Karabi Girls` Hostel of the Patha Bhavan school under the Visva-Bharati University, was arrested and suspended yesterday for allegedly forcing the 10-year-old girl to drink her own urine for bed-wetting.
Poddar was granted bail yesterday by a Bolpur court where she was produced along with the girl`s parents, who were arrested on charges of intimidation and trespassing.
The shocking incident has sparked an outrage with the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights slapping a notice on the West Bengal government asking it to investigate the matter and submit a report within 10 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav told Mulayam Singh's brother Shivpal that he would float new party?
- Sushant Singh Rajput's Twitter commentary of MS Dhoni's innings at Mohali is a Must Read