WB governor unfurls tri-colour amidst tight security
Kolkata: Amidst tight security, the new Governor of West Bengal M K Narayanan unfurled the tri-colour and took the salute of an impressive parade, at the state capital here today.
Colourful petals were showered from helicopter and Narayanan, in presence of the Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, took the salute at Indira Gandhi Sarani, popularly known as Red Road.
The armymen first marched past the saluting dais followed by the exhibition of warfare equipment, including Bofors canon and anti-tank guided missile.
Besides, the modified Tatra, an operational observational base in high altitude area with camera and video facility capable of sustaining at a 15000 mt height and 15 degree below freezing temperature, was exhibited for the first time.
The army parade was followed by that of paramilitary forces like BSF, CISF, RPF etc.
The rhythm of the parade was interrupted when a motorcycle of the Kolkata Traffic Police stalled just in front of the saluting dais due to a technical snag which was later pushed at the side of the road by security personnel.
The programme ended with a colourful cultural exhibition of school students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble