WB governor unfurls tri-colour amidst tight security
Kolkata: Amidst tight security, the new Governor of West Bengal M K Narayanan unfurled the tri-colour and took the salute of an impressive parade, at the state capital here today.
Colourful petals were showered from helicopter and Narayanan, in presence of the Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, took the salute at Indira Gandhi Sarani, popularly known as Red Road.
The armymen first marched past the saluting dais followed by the exhibition of warfare equipment, including Bofors canon and anti-tank guided missile.
Besides, the modified Tatra, an operational observational base in high altitude area with camera and video facility capable of sustaining at a 15000 mt height and 15 degree below freezing temperature, was exhibited for the first time.
The army parade was followed by that of paramilitary forces like BSF, CISF, RPF etc.
The rhythm of the parade was interrupted when a motorcycle of the Kolkata Traffic Police stalled just in front of the saluting dais due to a technical snag which was later pushed at the side of the road by security personnel.
The programme ended with a colourful cultural exhibition of school students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured