WB governor unfurls tri-colour amidst tight security
Kolkata: Amidst tight security, the new Governor of West Bengal M K Narayanan unfurled the tri-colour and took the salute of an impressive parade, at the state capital here today.
Colourful petals were showered from helicopter and Narayanan, in presence of the Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, took the salute at Indira Gandhi Sarani, popularly known as Red Road.
The armymen first marched past the saluting dais followed by the exhibition of warfare equipment, including Bofors canon and anti-tank guided missile.
Besides, the modified Tatra, an operational observational base in high altitude area with camera and video facility capable of sustaining at a 15000 mt height and 15 degree below freezing temperature, was exhibited for the first time.
The army parade was followed by that of paramilitary forces like BSF, CISF, RPF etc.
The rhythm of the parade was interrupted when a motorcycle of the Kolkata Traffic Police stalled just in front of the saluting dais due to a technical snag which was later pushed at the side of the road by security personnel.
The programme ended with a colourful cultural exhibition of school students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth