WB govt announces fresh rural poll dates, SEC unmoved
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Thursday announced fresh panchayat election dates on May five and eight, but the State Election Commission told the Calcutta High Court that it would not conduct the polls without deployment of central paramilitary forces.
Advocate General Bimal Chatterjee told the court of Justice Biswanath Somadder, hearing the case by SEC seeking cancellation of the election, that a letter was addressed to the state election commissioner stating that May five and May eight were the new election dates.
He sought to assure the court and the SEC that all arrangements would be made for holding free, fair and peaceful elections and said that the commission should accept its assurance to ensure that the elections were held in time.
The Advocate General insisted that the state would make security arrangements from within the state and if necessary, bring forces from neighbouring states and assured all assistance to the SEC.
But SEC`s counsel Samaraditya Pal submitted that it was not possible for the commission to hold the elections without deployment of central forces because of apprehension of violence.
Pal, quoting a letter by SEC to the state government, submitted that the commission had repeatedly said that the elections be held in three phases with deployment of 800 companies of central paramilitary forces on consideration of situation prevailing in the districts.
He said the state government had sought elections in two phases, the reasons for which were not explained.
The phasing of the elections and choice of districts in each phase was the prerogative of the commission, he submitted and the state had no authority to announce the phases and districts for such phases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- When MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan got 'lift' from cops during visit to flood-hit areas; image goes viral - Pic inside
- Monsoon session of UP assembly from today; GST Bill likely to be ratified
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sachin Tendulkar all set to gift a swanky BMW to PV Sindhu for scripting history
- Four-day Delhi Assembly session to ratify GST Bill starts today
- Here's what kept Abhay Deol away from silver screen for two years!