WB govt appoints nodal officer to review VVIP security
Kolkata: West Bengal government has appointed a nodal officer to review the security of political leaders and VVIPs in the state on the instruction of Union Home Ministry following the Maoist massacre of Congress leaders in Chattisgarh.
State Home Secretary Basudev Banerjee told a news agency today that the move followed letters from the Union Home Ministry to the chief secretaries of nine to ten states calling for stepping up security in LWE (left-wing extremists) areas and review of security of political leaders as also VVIPs.
Virendra, director of the Chief Minister`s security, will be the nodal officer in this regard, he said.
Declining to confirm if the Chief Minister and former the Chief Minister`s security had been asked to be further upgraded, Banerjee said the state government had appointed a nodal officer to do the job as per the instructions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video