WB govt decides to take over 2 TV channels of Saradha Group
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Thursday decided to take over two television channels of scam-tainted Saradha Group which are facing closure.
Announcing the decision, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee told reporters at Writers` Buildings that the decision was taken following appeal by employees of Tara News and Tara Muzic channels for government intervention.
She said that 168 employees of the channels would get an ex-gratia payment of Rs 16,000 each from this month.
The state government would provide Rs 26 lakh from the CM`s relief fund to run the channels.
The government would, however, not take the liability of the channels which amounted to Rs 6 crore, she said.
Noting that legislation was required for the purpose, she said the state government would decide whether it should convene a special session of the Assembly or promulgate an ordinance since the Assembly was not in session now.
Saradha group allegedly cheated thousands of small investors through ponzi schemes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why