WB govt decides to take over 2 TV channels of Saradha Group
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Thursday decided to take over two television channels of scam-tainted Saradha Group which are facing closure.
Announcing the decision, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee told reporters at Writers` Buildings that the decision was taken following appeal by employees of Tara News and Tara Muzic channels for government intervention.
She said that 168 employees of the channels would get an ex-gratia payment of Rs 16,000 each from this month.
The state government would provide Rs 26 lakh from the CM`s relief fund to run the channels.
The government would, however, not take the liability of the channels which amounted to Rs 6 crore, she said.
Noting that legislation was required for the purpose, she said the state government would decide whether it should convene a special session of the Assembly or promulgate an ordinance since the Assembly was not in session now.
Saradha group allegedly cheated thousands of small investors through ponzi schemes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!