WB govt gives three dates for panchayat poll to SEC
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Friday sent the State Election Commission three dates July 2, 6 and 10 for holding the panchayat elections in three phases.
Stating that the government has sent the three dates, SEC Secretary Tapas Roy said "We have received the communication from the state government and are discussing it."
Roy said that the SEC would issue a notification later.
The Calcutta High Court had on May 14 directed that the panchayat election be held in three phases and the dates be announced by the state in consultation with the commission.
The state government had earlier notified April 26 and 30 which the SEC challenged in the high court describing it as unilateral since the panchayat law provided that the state government announce poll dates in consultation with it.
During the pendency of the petition in the high court, the state government gave a fresh notification for holding the panchayat polls on May 5 and 8.
A single bench of the high court, upholding the SEC`s prayer, had directed that it would announce the date of election, rejecting the earlier dates.
A division bench of the high court, had on an appeal by the state against the order, directed that the state government would announce the dates for the rural polls in consultation with the SEC.
Meanwhile, after an all-party meeting, called by the SEC Commissioner Mira Pandey, Congress leader Manas Bhuinya told reporters that his party favoured holding of the last phase of panchayat election on July 9 instead of July 10 since Rathayatra fell on that day.
The month of Ramzan also began from July 11, he pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal