WB govt, GJM have to maintain friendly ties for Darjeeling: Mamata Banerjee
Siliguri: Ahead of her meeting with the GTA, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said her government and Gorkha Janmukti Morcha will have to maintain friendly ties as it was necessary for the development of Darjeeling Hills.
"We (Bengal govt and GJM) have to maintain friendly ties as we will have to work together for the development of the hills," Banerjee said on reaching Bagdogra airport here this afternoon on way to Darjeeling on a three-day visit.
When asked further on the ties with GJM which had deteriorated earlier this year, she said, "We will hold discussions ... The people will see it for themselves."
"The GTA office bearers are here to receive me ... So you can understand the relation," Banerjee said, adding that she had visited North Bengal 20 times since assuming chief ministership two years ago out of which she had visited Darjeeling 13 times, including her current visit.
Banerjee is scheduled to meet GJM leaders and hold talks with the Gorkha Territorial Administration during her stay in the hills, official sources said.
She will also attend several government functions to announce development schemes for the region, the sources said.
Asked about her reaction to the Calcutta High Court order on panchayat polls, she expressed her happiness over it.
"The government had wanted to hold the panchayat polls in winter to avoid the summer heat. But we are happy that the problem has been resolved, and we will now have to work to complete the election process by July 15," she said.
A division bench of the Calcutta High Court today rejected the State Election Commission order for 800 companies of central forces to overlook the panchayat poll, and directed that the election be held in three phases and the process be completed by July 15.
The court also directed that the poll date be notified by the state government in consultation with the State Election Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre