WB Govt issues notification on forming Silda probe committee
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Wednesday
issued a formal notification announcing a three-member enquiry
committee to probe the February 15 Maoist attack on the EFR
camp at Silda in West Midnapore district.
The government had earlier announced that the committee,
headed by Home Secretary Ardhendu Sen, would include ADG (CID)
Raj Kanojia and IGP (Western Range) Kuldip Singh.
Singh, however, was transferred as IGP (Organisation) and
replaced by Zulfikar Hassan as IGP (West) in a reshuffle
Home department sources said Hassan, as IGP (West) would
now replace Singh in the enquiry committee.
According to the sources, the committee would look into
the security lapses, adequacy of force strength and level of
preparedness during the attack. It would also recommend
measures to prevent such attacks in future.
The committee would submit its report within two months.
Altogether 24 EFR personnel and one civilian were killed
when Maoists sprayed bullets on the camp and set it on fire.
Five Maoists were also killed when the ERF personnel
The initial composition of the committee had invited
criticism from a section of the media which claimed that Sen,
Kanojia and Singh were responsible for setting up the camp at
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read