WB Govt issues notification on forming Silda probe committee
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Wednesday
issued a formal notification announcing a three-member enquiry
committee to probe the February 15 Maoist attack on the EFR
camp at Silda in West Midnapore district.
The government had earlier announced that the committee,
headed by Home Secretary Ardhendu Sen, would include ADG (CID)
Raj Kanojia and IGP (Western Range) Kuldip Singh.
Singh, however, was transferred as IGP (Organisation) and
replaced by Zulfikar Hassan as IGP (West) in a reshuffle
Home department sources said Hassan, as IGP (West) would
now replace Singh in the enquiry committee.
According to the sources, the committee would look into
the security lapses, adequacy of force strength and level of
preparedness during the attack. It would also recommend
measures to prevent such attacks in future.
The committee would submit its report within two months.
Altogether 24 EFR personnel and one civilian were killed
when Maoists sprayed bullets on the camp and set it on fire.
Five Maoists were also killed when the ERF personnel
The initial composition of the committee had invited
criticism from a section of the media which claimed that Sen,
Kanojia and Singh were responsible for setting up the camp at
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli