WB govt kicks off Swami Vivekananda`s birthday celebrations
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday kicked off the 150th birth anniversary celebrations of Swami Vivekananda here amidst a colourful procession and a cultural program.
Banerjee presided over a colourful march past by the state police and Kolkata police officials at Red road in central Kolkata.
Various cultural personalities such as Dwijen Mukhopadhya and other eminent singers and film personalities graced the occasion.
Colourful tableaux featuring the Ramkrishna Mission, an institution founded by Vivekananda, were taken out on the occasion.
School children dressed as Swami Vivekanada also conducted a march past as also specially-abled athletes with the crowd cheering them on.
The state government had last year launched a year-long youth festival to commemorate Swamiji`s 150th birth anniversary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists