WB govt orders payment of compensation to Nandigram victims
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Friday
issued an order for payment of compensation totalling Rs 1.59
crore to those injured in the firing at Nandigram on March 14,
The move comes two days after the Supreme Court asked
the state government to comply with its directive in this
The 159 injured would be paid Rs one lakh each for which
the government order was issued during the day, Chief
Secretary Samar Ghosh told reporters here.
He claimed that the decision to pay compensation had
been taken a month before the Supreme Court`s directive.
The file regarding payment of compensation was with the
Finance Department, he said, adding the government gave the
order after it was released.
Ghosh claimed that payment of compensation had been
under active consideration of the state government in
compliance with the order of the Calcutta High Court on
November 16, 2007.
The court had directed the government to make payment of
compensation to each of the injured persons whose particulars
"Governor is pleased to accord sanction to a total sum
of Rs 1.59 crore only for making payment of compensation to
the 159 injured persons in the Nandigram incident," the
government order said.
The order allotted the sum for the disposal of the East
Midnapore district magistrate for payment to the injured after
The state government has already paid compensation of Rs
two lakh each to three rape victims and five lakh each to the
families of the dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi