WB govt reluctant about AIIMS in north Bengal: Khan Chowdhury
Malda(WB): Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare AH Khan Chowdhury on Saturday said the West Bengal government is reluctant about the setting up of an AIIMS centre in north Bengal despite the lack of medical facility in the region.
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is also interested that AIIMS comes up at Raiganj and Rs 900 crore had been sanctioned for it. But the state government is reluctant," Khan Chowdhury told newsmen here.
"All should come forward," he said, adding the people of the region are forced to go to south India now in the absence of adequate medical infrastructure.
He said the proposed research centres at Malda Medical College and at Siliguri would go on stream within the next two months and would be fully funded by the Centre.
Research will be done on the reason behind recurring crib deaths at Malda hospital and on non-communicable diseases.
About the Malda Medical College, the union minister said he had personally spoken to Medical Council of India secretary to see that it is not closed down.
The MCI has derecognised the institute for its inability to fulfil all parameters.
"I have also asked the medical college principal and the state chief secretary to take steps to rectify the shortcomings in the immediate future and let us know the time required to do so," Khan Chowdhury added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes