WB govt reluctant about AIIMS in north Bengal: Khan Chowdhury
Malda(WB): Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare AH Khan Chowdhury on Saturday said the West Bengal government is reluctant about the setting up of an AIIMS centre in north Bengal despite the lack of medical facility in the region.
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is also interested that AIIMS comes up at Raiganj and Rs 900 crore had been sanctioned for it. But the state government is reluctant," Khan Chowdhury told newsmen here.
"All should come forward," he said, adding the people of the region are forced to go to south India now in the absence of adequate medical infrastructure.
He said the proposed research centres at Malda Medical College and at Siliguri would go on stream within the next two months and would be fully funded by the Centre.
Research will be done on the reason behind recurring crib deaths at Malda hospital and on non-communicable diseases.
About the Malda Medical College, the union minister said he had personally spoken to Medical Council of India secretary to see that it is not closed down.
The MCI has derecognised the institute for its inability to fulfil all parameters.
"I have also asked the medical college principal and the state chief secretary to take steps to rectify the shortcomings in the immediate future and let us know the time required to do so," Khan Chowdhury added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state