WB govt says won`t succumb to GJM threat
Kolkata: Amid Centre`s efforts to broker peace, GJM chief Bimal Gurung has threatened to intensify the stir if any attempt was made to arrest him but the West Bengal government on Saturday asserted it would not succumb to any pressure
in dealing with the violent agitation in the Darjeeling hills.
"The state government will not succumb to any pressure in dealing with violent mode of agitation," state Home Secretary GD Gautama told reporters at Writers` Buildings.
His statement came after the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) chief, against whom an FIR has been lodged, had said that any attempt to arrest him "will put the hills on fire" and that the state government will be responsible for the consequences.
"If police try to arrest me, the people of the hills will give them a fitting reply. They will virtually put the hills on fire. And the Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee Government will
be solely responsible for the consequences," Gurung said over phone from Darjeeling last night.
An FIR was lodged with the Nagerkata police station in Jalpaiguri district against five GJM leaders, including Gurung, on February nine after two GJM supporters were killed in police firing at Sipchu the previous day.
The charges against Gurung and four others include obstructing public servant in the discharge of his duty, illegal assembly in areas under prohibitory orders and
encroaching of forest areas for temporary shelters, police said.
Gurung described as false all the charges against him and demanded a CBI probe into the "unprovoked" police firing that left two GJM activists dead.
Meanwhile, the Home Secretary said that the state government was not considering restoration of security for GJM president Bimal Gurung and general secretary Roshan Giri.
"This is a matter concerning the local-level administration which appoints and withdraws personal security guards," Gautama added.
Centre`s interlocutor for Darjeeling peace process Bijay Madan is in the state to hold talks with leaders of GJM, which has launched an agitation for separate Gorkhaland state, and West Bengal officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof