WB govt scraps allowances for `political sufferers`
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Saturday announced that allowances introduced by the erstwhile Left Front government for those who suffered during the Naxalite uprising in 1970s, would be discontinued.
"Allowances given to political sufferers will be discontinued from now," Finance Minister Amit Mitra said about the category `political sufferers on post-Independent democratic movement` introduced by the LF government.
Mitra, who was speaking to reporters after a cabinet meeting said that allowances given to freedom fighters would not only remain but also be improved.
The list of freedom fighters would be studied diligently so that they were able to get allowances at higher rates, he said.
On the education front, the cabinet decided that any policies taken in respect of private universities in the state would be hosted on the web for a month to get feedback from the people and other stakeholders.
Education Minister Bratya Basu said that the state government would take steps to ensure that the interests of students in private universities were safeguarded as there were instances of harassment.
The education department would also give affiliation to schools under the Madhyamik board in panchayat areas, Basu said.
The financial implications involved like payment of salaries would be borne by the panchayat department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested