WB govt spent Rs 20 crore in celebration: Yechury
Kolkata: CPI(M) Politburo member Sitaram Yechury today questioned the "extravagant" spending of the "cash-strapped" Mamata Banerjee government to mark completion of its one year in office.
While the Trinamool Congress-led government has been complaining of lack of funds due to the the debt burden of over Rs two lakh crore, it spent Rs 20 crore to celebrate the occasion through various programmes, including a fair, he said.
"This money (Rs 20 crore) could have been used for the welfare of the poor people and farmers. This could have also prevented frequent farmer suicides in the state," he said at a public meeting at Belgharia, near here, this evening.
Claiming that attacks against CPI(M) workers by TC members were on the rise, Yechury said, "Going by the present trend, not just CPI(M) workers but common people would also be attacked in the future".
"People who are getting disgruntled will give a befitting reply to this," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'