WB govt spent Rs 20 crore in celebration: Yechury
Kolkata: CPI(M) Politburo member Sitaram Yechury today questioned the "extravagant" spending of the "cash-strapped" Mamata Banerjee government to mark completion of its one year in office.
While the Trinamool Congress-led government has been complaining of lack of funds due to the the debt burden of over Rs two lakh crore, it spent Rs 20 crore to celebrate the occasion through various programmes, including a fair, he said.
"This money (Rs 20 crore) could have been used for the welfare of the poor people and farmers. This could have also prevented frequent farmer suicides in the state," he said at a public meeting at Belgharia, near here, this evening.
Claiming that attacks against CPI(M) workers by TC members were on the rise, Yechury said, "Going by the present trend, not just CPI(M) workers but common people would also be attacked in the future".
"People who are getting disgruntled will give a befitting reply to this," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range