WB govt spent Rs 20 crore in celebration: Yechury
Kolkata: CPI(M) Politburo member Sitaram Yechury today questioned the "extravagant" spending of the "cash-strapped" Mamata Banerjee government to mark completion of its one year in office.
While the Trinamool Congress-led government has been complaining of lack of funds due to the the debt burden of over Rs two lakh crore, it spent Rs 20 crore to celebrate the occasion through various programmes, including a fair, he said.
"This money (Rs 20 crore) could have been used for the welfare of the poor people and farmers. This could have also prevented frequent farmer suicides in the state," he said at a public meeting at Belgharia, near here, this evening.
Claiming that attacks against CPI(M) workers by TC members were on the rise, Yechury said, "Going by the present trend, not just CPI(M) workers but common people would also be attacked in the future".
"People who are getting disgruntled will give a befitting reply to this," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement