WB govt tables vote-on-account for Aug, Sep
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Friday
tabled a vote-on-account of Rs 11,165 crore to meet the
expenditure requirements for August and September, 2011.
The vote-on-account was placed in the assembly by Finance
Minister Amit Mitra.
He said that in the earlier vote-on-account passed by
former finance minister Asim Dasgupta till July 2011, the
state`s revenue projections had been highly exaggerated and
expenditure depressed in the annual financial statement (AFS).
In the last AFS, the revenue growth was projected at 39
per cent growth, which was almost "mythical and divorced from
reality", he said
The focus, in the new AFS, would be on social and
physical infrastructure, human development and neglected
regions of the state.
Mitra said that the new AFS has been based on the
preliminary estimates provided by the CAG for 2010-11.
He further stated that the state has already increased
its share by more than Rs 2,200 crore with the view to avail
higher quantum of matching funds from the central government.
As per reports of the Planning Commission, 20,000 schools
in the state did not have toilets for girl students and 57,000
kitchen shades had not been built for mid-day meals, he said.
Later, Mitra told reporters that it had not been possible
to table a full-fledged budget due to lack of time.
Presentation of a full-fledged budget takes a minimum
of three to four months, while the government is just over a
month old, Mitra said, adding the full budget would be placed
upon directions of the Chief Minister as she was already in
talks with the Centre for getting additional financial
"We are expecting the Centre`s help to synergise with
the state`s expectations," he said.
To a query, he said the government was working on to
raise tax buoyancy.
"Raising tax rates merely is not required to raise
revenues. Improving compliance is also another way", he said.
The chief minister has already said the tax reforms
would be made to increase compliance.
Mitra said the state had lost to the extent of Rs 3,157
crore from the Centre for failing to pass the FRBM Act on
Given the size of the state`s GDP, the borrowing capacity
is Rs 17,800 crore, out of which Rs 8,000 crore has already
been raised from open market operations, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in