WB govt threatens action if striking doctors do not join duty
Kolkata: With the deadline for striking
junior doctors in government hospitals here to end their
strike having expired at noon Tuesday, West Bengal Health
Minister Suryakanta Mishra threatened to take stern measures
if they did not join duty.
"I appeal to the doctors to rejoin duty. Don`t compel
us to take stern measures," Mishra said here today.
"We are giving them time, we want the problem to be
solved. I wish they join their duties. The government cannot
accept this type of disorder inside hospitals," he said.
Regarding protection of doctors and hospital properties
from incidents of assaults by aggrieved relatives of patients,
he said that stringent laws had been framed against whoever
Representatives of junior doctors today met senior
health department officials at Swastha Bhavan in Salt Lake
here to discuss the issue, but the stalemate continued.
Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee had yesterday
warned of action if the strike, affecting thousands of
patients from different parts of the state, continued and had
set a deadline for them to end it by noon.
The four-day-old strike, which began at SSKM Hospital
demanding security after alleged assault of some junior
doctors by relatives of a patient who died there, has
spread to two other government-run referral hospitals --
National Medical College and Hospital and Calcutta Medical
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez