WB govt to bring new bill to protect investors
Kolkata: The West Bengal government Wednesday decided to introduce a new bill for protection of investors following the duping of thousands allegedly by chit fund company Saradha Group, after withdrawing an earlier one passed by the former Left Front regime.
The new Protection of Depositors Interest Bill 2013, will replace the earlier West Bengal Protection of Depositors Interest Bill 2009 introduced by the previous Left Front government, which was sent back by the President to the state government as sought by it.
The new bill will be tabled on the second day of a special session of the Assembly on April 29 and 30, Speaker Biman Banerjee said.
Stating that the government wanted to formulate a strong legislation, Banerjee said the session has been called keeping in mind the unrest created, after Saradha Group went bust affecting thousands of investors.
A motion will be moved in the House to withdraw the West Bengal Protection of Depositors in Financial Institutions Bill 2009 introduced by the previous Left Front government, Banerjee said.
Deputy Leader in the House and Industry minister Partha Chatterjee said, the new bill will have retrospective effect.
Once the bill is passed and becomes an Act, the new legislation will be able to effectively deal with the Saradha scam and other similar incidents, he said adding, the new bill will be more stringent and also empower authorities to confiscate assets of perpetrators of fraud.
CPI-M leader and MLA Anisur Rahman, however, claimed it is not possible to give retrospective effect to the new bill.
"The earlier one was equipped to deal with the present situation," he said.
Earlier, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, referring to the West Bengal Protection of Depositors in Financial Institutions Bill 2009 said it had been sent back to the Governor, who had sent it back to the state government.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed