WB govt to launch procurement policy: Mamata
Kolkata: With a view to develop the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) sector, the West Bengal government will soon launch a procurement policy to increase "ancillarisation and vendor linkage", Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said Monday.
"Our focus is development of the MSME sector and we are planning to launch a procurement policy by which we hope to increase the procurement of goods by the government departments to 15-20 percent," Banerjee said here addressing a business programme.
She said the hike in government procurement from the current under five percent to the targeted 15-20 percent will increase "ancillarisation and vendor linkage", helping the MSME sector to grow.
Observing that the MSME sector was more stable despite the global economic crisis, Banerjee urged investors to invest in Bengal, and promised incentives and subsidies.
"The number of MSMEs in our state has gone up to 22,000 in the last two years from a lowly 7,000-odd. I urge you all to invest in Bengal, which is gateway to the northeast India as well as to southeast Asia, providing you the opportunity to expand your businesses." she said.
"While big industries are essential, MSME is the way forward. So, invest in backward areas of the state especially Cooch Behar and (East and West) Midnapore districts and we will provide you incentives and subsidies," said Banerjee.
The chief minister also launched the "Bishwa Bangla Brand" - an umbrella holding company for all government MSMEs. The logo of the company as well as its punch-line has been created by Banerjee.
She also unveiled a portal for handling queries and complaints related to investments and opportunities in MSME sector.
"The focus is service delivery and to bring all stake holders under one umbrella," she said while unveiling the portal.
Banerjee asserted that her government will not tolerate politics of shutdowns and disruptions which have been hampering the state`s industrial growth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’