WB govt to restore Netaji`s home; erect monument
Kolkata: The West Bengal government planned to restore Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose`s ancestral home at Kodalia in South 24 Parganas and give it heritage status and erect a monument to him, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said on Wednesday.
Speaking at Netaji`s 116th birth anniversary celebrations here, the chief minister said that the Heritage Committee chaired by artist Suvaprasanna has taken the decisions to erect a monument to Netaji and to restore the great leader`s house at Kodalia.
"We will create a monument in the name of the leader on 4-5 kothas of land whatever is available in Netaji`s name," the chief minister said.
"We have also decided to restore the place (ancestral home) and turn it to heritage building," Banerjee said.
She said that the building was in very poor shape and needed immediate attention. "I am hoping we will be able to finish the work by January 22 next year".
Stating that it was a matter of pride to be born in West Bengal, Banerjee said "It is the state of illuminaries like Netaji, Swami Vivekanda, Rabindranath Tagore, poet Nazrul and Khudiram Bose."
"Bengal is the pride of the world. Bengal is about revolution. From Nasa to bhasa total brain is Bengal brain (sic)," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing