WB govt urged to amend law giving prisoner status to Maoists
New Delhi: The Centre has asked West Bengal government to immediately amend a law that grants political prisoners status to Maoists in the state.
Following a Kolkata High Court order allowing the status of political prisoners to People`s Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCPA) leader Chatradhar Mahato and six alleged Maoists booked under Unlawful Activities Prevention Act, the Home Ministry had in a letter written on October 8 this year asked state government to amend the West Bengal Correctional Services Act, 1992.
The Home Ministry told the state government to move the Supreme Court and amend the Act as the August 8 High Court order has "pan-India implications" and would provide grist to CPI(Maoist) propaganda machinery.
In the absence of any move by the state government to challenge the High Court order, the Centre is upset that the status quo is also being taken advantage by Aftab Ansari, convicted in American Center terror attack case, to also claim the political prisoner status under the same law passed by the state in 1992 but enforced eight years later.
Following the footsteps of Mahato and V Venkateshwara Reddy, alias Telugu Dipak, who were granted the status of political prisoners, the 2007 American Center shootout mastermind Aftab Ansari, who is on death row at Kolkata`s Alipore Central Jail, has also demanded political prisoner status for himself.
"It is a very worrying development. Despite asking West Bengal government more than a month ago, there is no action. Since it is a state law, the central government cannot act or interfere. The state government has to act fast to amend the Act," a Home Ministry official said.
According to the West Bengal Correctional Services Act, 1992, which came into force in April 2000, any offence committed or alleged to have been committed in furtherance of any political or democratic movement or any offence arising out of an act done by an individual with an exclusive political objective free from personal greed or motive shall be considered as a political offence.
The `political prisoner` status entitles prisoners to special treatment, including separate cell, chair, table, access to books and periodicals, home-cooked food etc.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22