WB govt wants development not guns, Mamata tells Maoists
Baghmundi (WB): Warning Maoists that the West Bengal government would not allow violence to return to `junglemahal` comprising Purulia, Bankura and West Midnapore districts, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said that her government wanted development and not guns.
"Our government has been able to restore peace in junglemahal and is carrying out development work for the people including providing food and other basic needs," Banerjee said addressing a rally here at Laharia in Purulia district.
"This was our challenge and commitment after we came to power. We will not allow guns to return to junglemahal ," she said without naming the Maoists.
"It is because of you that peace has returned to junglemahal," she said at the rally attended by women in large numbers.
Hinting at the bad road conditions in the district, she said "Good roads condition are an index of development. I am asking you to approach BDOs to ensure that that kutcha roads in villages where more than 100 people live are asphalted."
Banerjee, who is been a on three-day visit to Jungalmahal from September 22, said that many years ago before the area became a Maoist stronghold, used to be a favourite tourist destination.
The chief minister said that a tourism circuit from Ayodhya and Jaichandi hills in Purulia district to Kolkata was being set up.
She said that work for the circuit, which would also pass through Bankura and West Midnapore districts, had begun and Rs 3.10 crore of the estimated cost of Rs 4.80 crore already disbursed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Some parties trying to create anti-Centre sentiment, says Venkaiah Naidu
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog