WB govt wants development not guns, Mamata tells Maoists
Baghmundi (WB): Warning Maoists that the West Bengal government would not allow violence to return to `junglemahal` comprising Purulia, Bankura and West Midnapore districts, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said that her government wanted development and not guns.
"Our government has been able to restore peace in junglemahal and is carrying out development work for the people including providing food and other basic needs," Banerjee said addressing a rally here at Laharia in Purulia district.
"This was our challenge and commitment after we came to power. We will not allow guns to return to junglemahal ," she said without naming the Maoists.
"It is because of you that peace has returned to junglemahal," she said at the rally attended by women in large numbers.
Hinting at the bad road conditions in the district, she said "Good roads condition are an index of development. I am asking you to approach BDOs to ensure that that kutcha roads in villages where more than 100 people live are asphalted."
Banerjee, who is been a on three-day visit to Jungalmahal from September 22, said that many years ago before the area became a Maoist stronghold, used to be a favourite tourist destination.
The chief minister said that a tourism circuit from Ayodhya and Jaichandi hills in Purulia district to Kolkata was being set up.
She said that work for the circuit, which would also pass through Bankura and West Midnapore districts, had begun and Rs 3.10 crore of the estimated cost of Rs 4.80 crore already disbursed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees