WB govt wants development not guns, Mamata tells Maoists
Baghmundi (WB): Warning Maoists that the West Bengal government would not allow violence to return to `junglemahal` comprising Purulia, Bankura and West Midnapore districts, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said that her government wanted development and not guns.
"Our government has been able to restore peace in junglemahal and is carrying out development work for the people including providing food and other basic needs," Banerjee said addressing a rally here at Laharia in Purulia district.
"This was our challenge and commitment after we came to power. We will not allow guns to return to junglemahal ," she said without naming the Maoists.
"It is because of you that peace has returned to junglemahal," she said at the rally attended by women in large numbers.
Hinting at the bad road conditions in the district, she said "Good roads condition are an index of development. I am asking you to approach BDOs to ensure that that kutcha roads in villages where more than 100 people live are asphalted."
Banerjee, who is been a on three-day visit to Jungalmahal from September 22, said that many years ago before the area became a Maoist stronghold, used to be a favourite tourist destination.
The chief minister said that a tourism circuit from Ayodhya and Jaichandi hills in Purulia district to Kolkata was being set up.
She said that work for the circuit, which would also pass through Bankura and West Midnapore districts, had begun and Rs 3.10 crore of the estimated cost of Rs 4.80 crore already disbursed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery