WB govt`s no to talks with Maoists, jt operation to continue

Last Updated: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 20:37

Kolkata: A day after Maoists killed 24
jawans in West Midnapore in a biggest-ever attack, the West
Bengal government on Tuesday ruled out any possibility of talks
with the ultras, expressing its resolve to continue the joint
operation to flush them out.

"There is now no question of any talks with them
(Maoists)," state Home Secretary Ardhendu Sen told reporters.
Admitting a kind of failure on part of intelligence and
security forces, Sen said, "may be there was lapse on their
part".

The state government, he said, would send a report to the
Centre on the incident at Silda camp of Eastern Fronter Rifles
(EFR) in a day or two.

The Home Secretary said security had been stepped up at
Midnapore Central jail where some Maoists were lodged.

To a question, he said the Maoists attack might have a
kind of "demoralising effect" on the jawans.

State chief secretary Asok Mohan Chakraborty ruled out
any suspension of the joint operation and said that
yesterday`s armed attack on the jawans once again proved that
the Maoists were desperate to disrupt normal life.
At least 24 Eastern Frontier Rifle jawans were killed
yesterday when the ultras overran their camp at Silda after
setting it on fire.

Chakraborty said three people have been arrested in
connection with the attack.

State Finance minister Asim Dasgupta today led a team of
five ministers to Salua at Kharagpur to accord a guard of
honours to the slain EFR jawans.

Dasgupta was accompanied by Relief Minister Murtaza
Hussain, Fisheries Minister Kironmoy Nanda, Civil Defence
Minister Srikumar Mukherjee and Sports Minister Kanti Ganguly.

State`s Micro and Small-scale Enterprise minister Manab
Mukhkerjee said the government decided to distribute at
subsidised rate saris to women living under Below Poverty Line
(BPL) in five Maoist-hit districts, including West Midnapore,
Bankura and Purulia.

Initially, 1.50 lakh women under BPL would be benefitted
by the scheme which would cost the state government Rs 94
lakh, Mukherjee added.

It is seen as a move to win over the BPL women in the
five Maoist-hit districts.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 20:37

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus