WB: GTA Bill receives presidential assent
Kolkata: The Gorkhaland Territorial
Administration (GTA) Bill for setting up a new hill
council in the Darjeeling hills, today received presidential
"The GTA Bill on Wednesday received presidential assent. We
have received a forwarding letter," West Bengal Chief
Secretary Samar Ghosh told reporters here.
He said the gazette notification would be done after a
formal communication from Raj Bhavan.
"Whatever was in the agreement of GTA, has finally
been retained in the GTA Bill," Ghosh said.
"With this starts the process of formation of the
GTA," he said.
Delimitation, draft publication, hearing of
objections, defining of constituencies and nominations would
Ghosh said that the election to the GTA was likely to
be completed in about three months from the date of gazette
The GTA Bill was passed in the West Bengal Assembly on
September two last year.
The tripartite agreement was signed on July 18 last
year in the presence of Union Home Minister P Chidambaram,
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and GJM chief Bimal Gurung at
Pintail village, about 8 km from Siliguri.
The Gorkha Janmukti Morcha had threatened to burn
copies of the tripartite agreement on April 17 if the state
government did not implement the GTA by March 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'