WB: Hearing of challenge to Singur Act concluded
Kolkata: Tata Motors Ltd and the West Bengal
government were today directed by the Calcutta High Court to
file written notes of argument by September 20 as hearing on
the challenge of the Singur Act by TML concluded on Friday.
Justice IP Mukerji is expected to deliver the judgement
in the case filed by TML challenging the constitutionality of
Singur Land Rehabilitation and Development Act 2011, before
the Puja holidays, which begins from October one.
The hearing concluded after TML counsel S Pal finished
his submissions in reply to the arguments by the state against
its position on the constitutionality of the Act.
TML opposed the High Court`s initiative on compensation
to it for the government vesting land at Singur that was
leased to the company.
The TML counsel disagreed with the proposal and informed
Justice Mukerji that there was no mention of the leasehold
value of the land in the government`s proposal which could be
500 per cent higher than that of the structure constructed at
The state government, on the other hand, said that the
Hooghly district judge would determine the compensation
considering the principle laid down under section 23 and 24 of
the Land Acquisition Act 1894.
TML has already taken away all machinery from Singur to
Sanand in Gujarat for its Nano car plant.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation