WB: Hearing of challenge to Singur Act concluded
Kolkata: Tata Motors Ltd and the West Bengal
government were today directed by the Calcutta High Court to
file written notes of argument by September 20 as hearing on
the challenge of the Singur Act by TML concluded on Friday.
Justice IP Mukerji is expected to deliver the judgement
in the case filed by TML challenging the constitutionality of
Singur Land Rehabilitation and Development Act 2011, before
the Puja holidays, which begins from October one.
The hearing concluded after TML counsel S Pal finished
his submissions in reply to the arguments by the state against
its position on the constitutionality of the Act.
TML opposed the High Court`s initiative on compensation
to it for the government vesting land at Singur that was
leased to the company.
The TML counsel disagreed with the proposal and informed
Justice Mukerji that there was no mention of the leasehold
value of the land in the government`s proposal which could be
500 per cent higher than that of the structure constructed at
The state government, on the other hand, said that the
Hooghly district judge would determine the compensation
considering the principle laid down under section 23 and 24 of
the Land Acquisition Act 1894.
TML has already taken away all machinery from Singur to
Sanand in Gujarat for its Nano car plant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu