WB: Howrah by-poll result to be announced today
Kolkata: By-poll result for the Howrah constituency in West Bengal, which went in for polling on Sunday, will be announced on Wednesday.
The election has been necessitated following the death of Trinamool Congress MP Ambika Banerjee on April 25.
This will be the acid test for Trinamool Congress as it is the first election after the recent Saradha chit fund scam. With around 64 per cent turnout, the polling was peaceful with no reports of violence.
The by-poll will be the acid test for Trinamool Congress as it is the first election after the recent Saradha chit fund scam.
The by-poll was a three-way contest between the Trinamool Congress, its former ally the Congress party, and the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M).
While the Trinamool Congress has fielded former international footballer Prasun Banerjee, advocate Sanatan Mukherjee is contesting on the Congress ticket, and Sridip Bhattacharya is the candidate of the CPI-M-led Left Front.
Both Congress and the CPI-M have accused the Trinamool of using muscle power to intimidate voters as well as not allowing the polling officers to function independently during the by-poll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa