WB: Interlocutors withdraw from talks with Maoists
Kolkata: Dealing a blow to talks with
Maoists, West Bengal-government appointed interlocutors
on Monday withdrew from the parleys, four days after top Naxal
leader Kishenji was killed in an encounter in West Midnapore
"The prevailing situation in Jungalmahal does not allow
us to carry forward the peace talks and we, therefore, express
our inability and helplessness to the chief minister," the
interlocutors said in a communication to Mamata Banerjee after
its six members met here.
Asked whether they would reconsider their decision,
Sujato Bhadra, who headed the team of interlocutors and is a
human rights activist, said, "Everything is uncertain in
Junglemahal. The situation may worsen. It is not possible
to carry forward the peace process."
One of the interlocutors was stated to have given a
divergent view and suggested continuance of the talks.
The interlocutors, who had two rounds of talks with the
Maoists, had earlier decided to slow down their efforts after
the state government decided to step up joint force operations
The chief minister, however, called them recently and
asked them to continue with the peace process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Wayne Rooney still key to England plans, says Sam Allardyce
- Maharashtra ATS identifies 270 URLs showing IS activities, asks Centre to block them
- Dimple Kapadia’s reaction to Naseeruddin Shah’s remarks about Rajesh Khanna is simple yet strong
- England vs Pakistan: Alastair Cook glad to get 'carried along' with Joe Root
- On 17th 'Kargil Vijay Diwas', nation pays tribute to brave Indian soldiers