WB: Land reforms bill passed amid Oppn walkout
Kolkata: Amid walkout and protest by
Trinamool Congress and Congress members in the Assembly, the
Left Front government today passed two bills, including the
West Bengal Land Reforms (Amendment) Bill, 2010.
Soon after the proceedings began, Trinamool Congress
members stormed into the well of the House raising slogans
against the government and demanded withdrawal of the Land
Reforms Amendment Bill.
They then staged a walkout and threatened to boycott the
House if the bill was not withdrawn. Congress members also
joined the TC leaders in the walkout.
Leader of Opposition Partha Chatterjee claimed that the
Front government had lost the mandate to rule and as such had
no right to pass the bills.
Land Revenue Minister Abudur Rezzak Mollah attacked the
Opposition for staging the walkout and justified the bill.
"In a democracy anyone (party) could come to power. They
(Trinamool) can also come. They can bring amendment to the
bill if they so desire. We are always for the poor, farmers
and tribals," he said.
As per provisions of the bill, the collector will be
authorised to "regularise the change, coversion or alteration
in the area, character or mode of use of any plot of land not
exceeding 0.03 acre situated within the limits of any
municipal corporation or any plot of land not exceeding 0.08
acre situated in the area not falling within local limits of
any municipal corporation or municipality other than any plot
of land having water body".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!