WB: Land reforms bill passed amid Oppn walkout
Kolkata: Amid walkout and protest by
Trinamool Congress and Congress members in the Assembly, the
Left Front government today passed two bills, including the
West Bengal Land Reforms (Amendment) Bill, 2010.
Soon after the proceedings began, Trinamool Congress
members stormed into the well of the House raising slogans
against the government and demanded withdrawal of the Land
Reforms Amendment Bill.
They then staged a walkout and threatened to boycott the
House if the bill was not withdrawn. Congress members also
joined the TC leaders in the walkout.
Leader of Opposition Partha Chatterjee claimed that the
Front government had lost the mandate to rule and as such had
no right to pass the bills.
Land Revenue Minister Abudur Rezzak Mollah attacked the
Opposition for staging the walkout and justified the bill.
"In a democracy anyone (party) could come to power. They
(Trinamool) can also come. They can bring amendment to the
bill if they so desire. We are always for the poor, farmers
and tribals," he said.
As per provisions of the bill, the collector will be
authorised to "regularise the change, coversion or alteration
in the area, character or mode of use of any plot of land not
exceeding 0.03 acre situated within the limits of any
municipal corporation or any plot of land not exceeding 0.08
acre situated in the area not falling within local limits of
any municipal corporation or municipality other than any plot
of land having water body".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof