WB: Locals clash with police over accident
Burdwan: Local residents fought a pitched battle with the police and blocked busy National
Highway-2 following the death of a youth in an accident at Panagarh in Burdwan district.
Superintendent of Police Humayun Kabir said, "Locals
blocked the NH-2 (GT Road) after a speeding truck ran over
Parijat Choube (34) at the market."
"They began to throw bricks, stones and burnt tyres on
the highway when police reached to lift the blockade. The
police shot three bullets in the air to disperse the mob.
Rapid Action Force personnel have been deployed in the area to maintain calm," he said.
Choube died on the spot. He was going to Durgapur in a motorbike from his rented home in Panagarh, the police said.
He hails from Chinsurah in Hooghly district.
Angry locals also damaged private buses and trucks, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?