WB: Locals clash with police over accident
Burdwan: Local residents fought a pitched battle with the police and blocked busy National
Highway-2 following the death of a youth in an accident at Panagarh in Burdwan district.
Superintendent of Police Humayun Kabir said, "Locals
blocked the NH-2 (GT Road) after a speeding truck ran over
Parijat Choube (34) at the market."
"They began to throw bricks, stones and burnt tyres on
the highway when police reached to lift the blockade. The
police shot three bullets in the air to disperse the mob.
Rapid Action Force personnel have been deployed in the area to maintain calm," he said.
Choube died on the spot. He was going to Durgapur in a motorbike from his rented home in Panagarh, the police said.
He hails from Chinsurah in Hooghly district.
Angry locals also damaged private buses and trucks, he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof