WB: Mannan likely to be candidate for RS elections
Kolkata: Senior Congress leader Abdul
Mannan is likely to be the candidate of the party for the
ensuing Rajya Sabha election from West Bengal and a final
announcement by the party High Command is expected shortly,
WBPCC President Pradip Bhattacharya said on Sunday.
``Abdul Mannan is likely to be our party`s candidate
for Rajya Sabha poll from the state and I am expecting the
final announcement from the high Command shortly``,
Bhattacharya earlier said that Congress was waiting
for the green signal from the party High Command in Delhi to
field a candidate for the March-30 Rajya Sabha elections to
five seats from the state.
He said that the PCC had the intention to field a
candidate, pending decision by the high Command.
Asked that tomorrow is the last date for filing
nomination, he said that the party was prepared to complete
the procedure within a day.
Of the five seats from the state, Trinamool Congress
has already fielded four candidates and CPI(M) one, for which
the Left party has the requisite numbers.
If the Congress fields its candidate, there will be
direct fight for votes between a Trinamool Congress candidate
and that of its ally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP