WB: Miners stuck in ECL mine rescued
Burdwan: A total of 21 miners of ECL`s South Shyamala Colliery at Pandaveshwar in Burdwan district were briefly stuck underground after a lift stopped working, but all of them were rescued on Thursday.
The miners had gone into the mine at midnight last night and were scheduled to come overground at 8:00 am this morning when it was discovered that the lift was not working, Area General Manager Manoj Kumar said.
Inspite of best efforts the lift could not be restarted, he said.
Thereafter the miners were evacuated via the pit-head of an abandoned mine, 100 metre away, Kumar said.
He said it would be investigated why the lift did not work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown