WB minister accuses Buddhadeb of ordering July 21 firing
Kolkata: A West Bengal minister today claimed that Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, who was information and cultural affairs minister in the Jyoti Basu cabinet, had ordered the police to open fire on youth Congress activists that led to 13 deaths in the city on July 21, 1993.
"At the direct instruction of Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, the police opened fire on Youth Congress activists without any provocation that led to several (13) deaths on July 21 in 1993," Sports Minister Madan Mitra told reporters after deposing before the inquiry panel constituted by Mamata Banerjee government into the police firing.
Mitra said he had gone to Kolkata Police headquarters at Lalbazar on July 20, 1993, to seek permission of the police officers and the then police commissioner D C Bajpai to allow erection of dais in the city for the YC rally the next day.
"After I said that the YC will go ahead with the rally programme, the police officers rejected the demand to hold the rally and told me that they had talked to BB (meaning Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, who was then information and cultural affairs minister in Jyoti Basu cabinet), and curtly informed me that Kolkata Police will show its might that day (July 21, 1993)," the minister claimed.
"It is at the direct instruction of BB that the police opened fire on the YC activists without any provocation," he alleged.
Mitra said he challenged Bhattacharjee to prove him untrue, else he would resign from the government.
Mamata Banerjee, who was the state YC chief at that time and led the YC activists to march through the city streets on July 21, 1993, observes July 21 as Martyr`s Day every year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015