WB panchayat polls: 30 companies of central forces arrive
Kolkata: Thirty companies of central forces arrived here on Sunday while 120 more are expected to reach by tomorrow for deployment during the first phase of panchayat poll slated for July 11.
State Election Commission Secretary Tapas Roy said the forces would be deployed immediately.
The central forces comprise CRPF, BSF, CISF and police personnel from Punjab and Madhya Pradesh, state home department sources said.
Odisha was unable to provide any force in view of the impending Puri Rathyatra.
Coordination of the central forces would be done by IG (BSF) AK Sharma, the sources said.
In the first phase, the districts of Purulia, Bankura and West Midnapore, which make up Jangalmahal, would go to the poll.
The sources said that in view of the recent attack on the police at Dumka in Jharkhand by the Maoists in which the Pakur district Superintendent of Police, along with five other policemen were killed, the West Bengal government was taking adequate measures for prevention of violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?