WB polls: 84.8% turnout in fourth phase
Kolkata: An estimated 84.8 percent turnout
was on Tuesday recorded in 63 constituencies which went to polls in
the fourth phase of the West Bengal Assembly elections
covering Singur and Nandigram that changed the face of state
84.8 percent of the 1.26 crore voters exercised their
franchise till 5:00 pm, Chief Electoral Officer Sunil Gupta
Long queues were seen at many polling booths even after
5:00 pm, he said.
Gupta said East Midnapore district recorded the highest
turnout of 89.32 percent followed by parts of Burdwan - 87.32
percent, Hooghly - 82.59 percent and Howrah - 79.9 percent.
Polling was by and large peaceful, except for some cases
of intimidation of voters and threats by extremists to boycott
polling. At some booths, there were complaints of defective
EVMs but the machines were replaced and polling was not
Additional CEO NK Sahana said ten preventive arrests
were made - six in East Midnapore and two each in Hooghly and
CPI(M) state Secretary Biman Bose alleged that there were
stray incidents of intimidation and assault on his party
workers by Trinamool Congress men and urged the Election
Commission to take "extra-precaution" for the remaining two
Three former IPS officers Rachpal Singh, Haider Aziz
Sawfi and Sultan Singh fielded by the Trinamool Congress
candidates and seven cabinet ministers were among the 366
candidates in the fray on Tuesday.
Of the six phases of the elections, three were held on
April 18, 23 and 27. The fifth phase will take place on May 7
and the last phase on May 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read